Error Message: The Backup Failed. Received Error: Some or all identity references could not be translated.
Symptoms: When doing a database backup in the Data Workbench Application with Windows 2000, you receive the error "The Backup Failed. Received Error: Some or all identity references could not be translated."
Cause: The issue occurs because the NETWORK user does not have access to Modify the QAS\Backup folder. In later versions of Windows (XP and Vista) the NETWORK user automatically has access to the folder.
Resolution: The issue can be resolved by allowing the NETWORK user access to Modify the QAS\Backup folder.This can be done by following the steps below:
- Browse to the QAS Folder.
- Right Click on the Backup Folder and select Properties.
- Click the Security Tab.
- Click the "Add" button.
- Browse for the user named "NETWORK" and click OK.
- Click on the NETWORK user.
- Make sure that the Modify permission is set to Allow.
- Click 'OK'